Penicuik Carbon Challenge Tool Library
Terms and Conditions
Penicuik Carbon Challenge Tool Library Terms and Conditions
1. Members must be age 18 or over to borrow tools from The Penicuik Carbon Challenge Tool Library (“Tool Library”).
2. Prior to borrowing tools, all Members must (a) be a current, ordinary member of Penicuik Community District Trust (“PCDT”); (b) have their residency and age confirmed by a Tool Library volunteer or member of the staff. Verifications of the Member’s residency and age is accomplished by presenting a valid government-issued photo ID and a second form of identification that includes a current address.
3. By borrowing any item, the Member is certifying that he or she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner; as such, loans are all at the borrower’s own risk. Members are strongly advised to use appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), some of which is also available for borrowing if the member does not own their own.
4. Only the Member is authorized to use Library tools. The Member shall not permit the use of items checked out to him or her by any other person unless by the express permission of the Tool Library.
5. Membership is included with Penicuik Community Development Trust membership; the fee for this is currently £2. Borrowing tools is currently free; however, the Tool Library reserves the right to change this at any time.
6. All tools borrowed are to be returned to the Library by close of business on their agreed return date.
7. Multiple tools may be borrowed at one time; however, the entirety of a batch borrowed out must be returned before borrowing additional items.
8. At present, late fees will not be charged; however, the Tool Library may change this policy in the future if the honour system is abused.
9. The Library reserves the right to use appropriate steps to retrieve delinquent tools. The process for delinquency is: attempting to reach the borrower by telephone and/or email (thrice at circa weekly intervals), then a final demand letter via the post, followed by the use of legal action.
10. Members may renew each tool once if (a) the Member contacts the Tool Library before opening on the day that the tool is due, and (b) no other Member has reserved the tool. The Library reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals and will do so based on demand.
11. The Member agrees that the Library is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed tools.
12. The Member agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify the Library of the issue on return, if not earlier.
13. All tools are to be returned in the same (or better) condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All tools must be returned clean. The Member agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any item. The Tool Library will be the sole arbitrator for assessing the condition of returned tools. The Member further agrees to the Library’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total.
14. The Library reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its discretion.
last updated 2 September 2021